Monday, July 26, 2010

The Power Of Prayer....It's Real!

I first want to give a big thank you for all the emails and prayers and all the family support we received over the last 8 days, it really helps. Also, a very special thank you to Adsideo (our church) who delivered us a wonderfully cooked meal for tonight and for tomorrow night, it was absolutely perfect. It's crazy how difficult basic chores become when I have cancer, Meg is expecting in 10 days and our 2 year old is experiencing freedom and real communication for the first time.

So, after 8 days of craziness, we finally received some good, no, make that great news late this afternoon. Today I had my PET / CT Scan around 12pm. It's non-invasive and was more boring than anything. The process took about a 1.5 hours and an 1 hour of that was sitting in a recliner allowing the radioactive tracer isotope that was pumped into my body to move through my system. That was boring, in fact I specifically pulled out my Iphone and asked if I could keep this.....she said no. WHAT? Does she know what decade it is.....come on. Well, I wasn't allowed anything and I'm not really a guy who can sit in a chair for an hour and do nothing with no communication. After the hour I went into an MRI like machine (only smaller and not as claustrophobic) for 20 minutes. Then we left for the day.

However at 4:45 this afternoon Dr. Yee called and said he not only had the PET / CT results in but that the Bone Marrow Biopsy performed on Friday night was also in a day early. I know, I know....get to it. Dr. Yee confirmed that the cancer has not spread beyond my left shoulder, it's not in my lower abdomen or on my right shoulder, and it's not in my Bone Marrow. Therefore, he is gearing down a bit, and taking me off the aggressive Chemo plan and onto a more manageable Chemo plan. Starting this Thursday, I will have 1 Chemo session every 14 days. So basically every other Thursday.

I still have cancer, and I always felt it was beatable, but now I'm very confident that I can take this cancer. It's also great news for our family, it definitely relieved a little of the anxiety Meg was understandably experiencing. I literally thought she was going to pass out when I told her. In a time of sadness, it's amazing what good news can do for a family.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

3 comments:

  1. Dear Steve & Megan, I wanted to let you know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I can't believe it (I'm sure everyone says that). I am glad for the great news of yesterday. Sorry we have not kept in touch recently ... you know how time flies when you're running after little kids. But goodness you know how to get our attention and bring a family together. :-) Keep hanging in there and God bless you all. Love, Rebecca (& Juan, Nico and Maia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve and Megan,
    Just wanted you to know your Uncle Cliff and Aunt Sharon are among those "standing in the gap". I led worship yesterday (Sunday) as Brent was out of town. The song I sang and claimed for you was, "Mighty to Save" - I got so wrapped up in it, I forgot where I was in the count - stopped, looked blankly at the worship team who just kept on playing! Finally, I found my place and my voice, raised my fist in the air and sang with all the gusto a 56 year old woman can muster - "Saviour, You can move the mountains; God, You are mighty to save, yes, You're mighty to save; forever Author of Salvation; You rose and conquered the grave, yes, You conquered the grave!" I cry as I right this...tears of praise and thanksgiving for His Presence with us - with you over these past days - so powerful that the mountains of our lives cannot ever separate us from His Love or His help. We love you both so much! So glad to hear the latest news. We're marching on in prayer and faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you as you have had your first week of the chemical attack missiles aimed at incinerating the evil cancer cells. In Hebrews the scripture tell us that all things are sustained by His powerful Word and I figure He has commanded the chemo to impart mass destruction upon the cancer. It is with faith believing we join forces with the entire family to flank this battle against cancer in prayer every day for you. There is no separation between God and His Word and we are confident in His Word is covering you and will sustain your family as the battle rages on………… Uncle Larry & Auntie Mary
    From Lamentations 3:21+
    Yet this I call to mind
    and therefore I have hope:
    Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
    They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
    I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him."
    The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
    to the one who seeks him;
    it is good to wait quietly
    for the salvation of the LORD.

    ReplyDelete