Hey everyone, thanks for reading. It's been a while since I've posted, basically just been lazy (sorry). I've decided to incorporate into my blog one of my favorite things to do in life. Music! I'll post one lyric that grabbed me throughout the week. No explanation needed, they should be pretty self explanatory lyrics:
"Well I Won't Back Down, No I Won't Back Down, You Can Stand Me Up At The Gates Of Hell, And I Won't Back Down"
Tom Petty
Two days ago I had my 2nd Chemo session since my last blog. Both of them have taken their toll on me. I'm getting pretty nauseous during the treatments and well into the nights as well. It pretty much sucks and I'm out of commission for that evening. Thankfully, we've had either my mom or Meg's mom here to help with with dinners and taking care of the kids. It's been great, thanks Moms. The Saturday's that follow are not great either, but much better than the Chemo days.
Because the Chemo days are getting worse, I'm starting to think about them or dread them more as they approach. The nausea sets in pretty quick once the nurses get started. One of the anti-nausea drugs has a weird smell and taste to it that doesn't sit very well with me. From there it just gradually gets worse until the end of the 2hrs and 30 minutes....where I'm internally begging them to pull these IV's out of me so I can run to the door for fresh air. Of course once they take everything out, I'm actually just walking, smiling, saying thank you to all the nurses who helped me out, before I reach the door and take deep breath. My brother sat with me this week and he was gracious enough to pick me up at home and more importantly drive me home afterwards. That was nice, because two weeks ago I forgot to set that plan up with my dad, and not only did I have to drive myself home, but I had to go pick Riley up at daycare. It sucked, but I put on a big smile for Riley. When I get home, I usually go straight up to bed and just chill all night, coming down a few times for water and maybe a bite to eat or something. I'm also popping two different anti-nausea pills throughout the night. This last time I slept pretty good and woke up feeling better. I chilled most of the day yesterday, but we did have a birthday party to go to at my Brother and Kara's house....I made it through pretty good actually. I managed to put down a small dinner, but then eventually got too tired and it was time to leave. As of right now, Sunday morning, I'm feeling pretty good :)
I did find out something interesting two weeks ago. Since the beginning of the Chemo sessions I've had some itchiness that's kind of been uncontrollable. Early on, I briefly mentioned it to my doctor, but he didn't think much of it, because the Chemo is supposed to zap everything in my immune system, and therefore nothing should get through. I was thinking mosquito bites or spider bites or something. It started to grow up my legs a little bit and then I started getting a lot of spots on my torso. Some more itchy then others. Eventually, I got a dollar bill sized spot on my right thigh that I couldn't stop itching. It was also starting to grow outward....kind of bumpy. Anyway, two weeks ago I finally showed my doctor some of the spots and he concluded that I was allergic to one of Chemo drugs...Great, I'm allergic to one of the drugs trying to save my life :) Actually, the doctor wasn't too worried about it, he just told me to use some Cortizone and that should do it. It was pretty itchy there for a few days, but I think the Cortizone did it's job pretty well. I had uncontrollable spots on both shins, my left knee, my right thigh, my left hand, my upper left arm, both shoulder blades, and my left neck......UGH!
Well I've completed 7 Chemo sessions and I've only got one more left....YESSSS. Then a small break and then the all important PET Scan. The PET Scan will shows what, if any part of the cancer is left. This will also determine if and how much Radiation I'll need.
Wells that it's for now.....Have a good week everyone and thanks for reading.
Steve
Hi Steve,
ReplyDeleteRead the update. Brutal comes to mind - but if brutal brings the healing... Hey, we love you. Not much on this side of town. Cliff is remodeling the downstairs bathroom. Whoo-ee! The improvement is amazing! Plus, we have two more closets we didn't have before. That's the great thing about fixer-uppers - they can amaze you! Our prayers continue - and our support. Please help us know how we can do that! We're great babysitters, housecleaners, hosts, you just name it!
Love always, Aunt Sharon & Uncle Cliff
Hey Steve,
ReplyDeleteJust want you to know that you and your family are constantly being lifted up in prayer! Please do let us know if there is any way we can help you guys out - seriously... we're willing to get our hands dirty! Thank you for keeping your blog going, it definitely helps keep us updated so we know how to pray!!
Love you,
Brent & Casey